A few days ago my new makeup remover arrived, yay!

DHC is a worldwide bestselling brand from Japan, and their most famous product is their Deep Cleansing Oil. I got eager to try it, and I bought mine at Yukiumi! I browsed around and from what I've seen, I think Yukiumi's prices are the most reasonable. Even DHC itself sells it for noteably more! Check it out here!


If you're like me and have no sense of volume, here are dimensions (height doesn't include spout):

I was so excited to see what the reknowned DHC Deep Oil Cleanser is like!
For starters, I cannot emphasize enough: when they say oil, they MEAN oil! (I was somewhat shocked, thinking it would be more watery). It smells lightly of olive oil, but has very similar viscosity:
Photobucket
Aw what a cute jiggly little bottle~
It's not super viscous:
Photobucket
But it's definitely an oil!:


So to put this makeup remover to the test, I have put on extra makeup today!
On my face are massive amounts of the following:

It's hard to tell on camera, but believe me, I piled on LOTS of eyeshadow, mascara, bbcream, and foundation. Layers and layers! What choice do I have? You know how cameras and bright lighting eat through makeup...and hey, this will really put the cleanser to the test, right? ;)

A quick note about some of the aforementioned products: In my experience, the Koji Eyetalk Eyelid Glue (I use it as eyelash glue), Shiseido Liquid Eyeliner, waterproof mascara, and all the foundation can be troublesome to remove.

Ok, let's Start!

As directed, I massaged two pumps worth of oil onto my dry face. The cleanser smells a lot like olive oil--but nothing too offensive--yet, the texture felt slightly more gooey. Now I'm not one to enjoy rubbing delicate eye area repeatedly (it makes your skin saggy!!) but it glides around very smoothly, so it is very gentle nonetheless!

I also tried dabbing a cottonball/paper towel and just holding it in place to dissolve the eye makeup. Doesn't work nearly as well as olive oil itself for some reason! :(

I was very impressed with how well it removed the many layers of bbcream/ foundation! Previous makeup removers merely smeared parts of it off, but this one really melted everything from my face!

But...not as impressive was the eye area. I had to rub quite a bit to remove the lashes. Yet while the rest of my face was already clean, pieces of my eyeliner, mascara, and stringy remains of eyelid glue remained:
So it wasn't exactly as easy as they had advertised...!  It then took another 3 mini-pumps worth of oil and persistent rubbing to get it mostly clean:

Very minor bits of mascara remain, but by then I gave up!

So while it didn't SUPER easily remove all my eyeliner and mascara, it does actually do a much better job than other removers I've tried (including the greasy ones!). Here it only leaves remnants of eyeliner, but the latter left sizeable chunks! In retrospect, applying more of the oil onto my fingers would have done the trick.

After you wash off the cleanser you are left with a freshly washed feeling and no oily after-feel! Word of caution though: since you're doing this eyes-closed and over the sink, make sure you remove any loose false lashes off your face so they don't get washed down the drain like mine did...

One last note....The website implies that this is a makeup remover, but it doesn't explicitly state whether it can double as a facial cleanser as well, or if a secondary facial cleanser is necessary. I asked three of the salesmen and while one said that it depends on personal preference, the rest stated:
  • "DHC does recommend you use a cleanser afterwards."
  • "The Deep Cleansing Oil just Step 1."
  • "It would be the makeup remover."
Oh salespeople...it was a yes or no question, just be straightforward about it!!! 

TLDR? 'Tis a oil makeup remover. Very effective yet gentle. Melts off eyeshadow, bbcream, and foundation easily! For troublesome areas, just use liberally. Me likey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment